Tuesday, February 22, 2011

not your grandmother's television

Photobucket

Another day bites the dust. My Monday evening was rather relaxing and I hope that tonight proves to be the same. I ran four miles at the gym, got groceries, simultaneously did dishes and prepared my favorite sandwich while watching The Bachelor, and finally got around to watching the very Truman Show series finale of The Hills (and now I'm thoroughly confused... we know that a lot of the show was 'set-up' but was it all completely contrived? I'm thinking it was just meant to make us wonder...). Yes, I like to watch terrible TV. Sometimes it makes me want to tear my hair out and launch myself out of a window, but other times it's undeniably enjoyable. We're all allowed our vices :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(hat: vintage, gift; blazer: delia*s via plato's closet; skirt: grandmother's; tights: hue; shoes: seychelles; necklace: gift; belt: bargain boutique)

I took this skirt from my mother's cedar chest (it originally belonged to her mother) last year but this is the very first time I've worn it! The strange length just baffles me when I've attempted to style the skirt in the past, but I do like it and it's nice and knit and green so I decided to just wear it already. I dare all of you to pick an item from your closet that you like but have been afraid to style and just make it happen. And then reward yourself with an hour of alarmingly bad 'reality' television.

16 comments:

  1. This skirt is so pretty. I love the deep shade of green and the way you've belted the blazer. Very chic!
    And, I'm a sucker for terrible TV, too. I'm currently ashamed to be watching the Real Housewives of (pretty much any city) on Bravo and Jersey Shore.
    The Hills finale was a little unexpected. I took it to mean that most of it was completely scripted, and that all of the interactions were basically setup. Which is what I pretty much always suspected anyways! Maybe they didn't have a script or exact lines, but the cast must have been told what to do and who to meet up with and general outlines for who they were fighting with that week... etc. Wow, I just wrote a really long comment on The Hills. That's way worse than just watching it! hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove this skirt, that shade of green is so gorgeous. And your blazer is amazing, I want one like that!! I always have issues with dresses/skirts this length, I have a lot of them but I feel like a midget when I wear them!

    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely see how the skirt would be sort of hard to style, but I love how you've done it here! It's such a beautiful color!

    And I'm the biggest sucker for bad TV. Seriously. I was obsessed with all the Real World shows back in the day, and I still indulge in the Bachelor now, even though it makes me positively cringe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your outfit is really cool!
    Cute blog!
    follow me? I'll be very happy if you do it!Thank you so much!
    www.cipollainspiration.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this look deary!!! And oh no one can deny ever watching reality tv, it's the nations bad habit!! hahah!

    Lauren
    Sparrow & Urchin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love seeing that jacketblazer on you - looks great with this skirt :) Awesome blog debut for it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love that blazer, it really looks great with that skirt. I have my reality tv vices too....teen mom anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the length and colour of this skirt. It is so perfect for this season (and many to come as its a classic)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great retro look! it's like your going on a day trip into the city (circa 1940something) i can totally see you walking in to a soda shop for a quick bite on your way to the dress makers... see I'm making up my own narrative the outfit is so awesome!

    I like the hair too- great curls

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you did a really great job styling your skirt, you look like a very fashionable lady from the 40's. I'm guilty of watching bad TV too. I think we all are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll skip the bad TV, but I love the debut of the skirt. I think the slightly awkward length is well balanced out by the fitted blazer and elefant hat. I have a dress in a similar length that I don't really know what to do with, so I may take your challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh I just adore your blog so much xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad you wore the skirt, it's great!! Perfect timing too since longer skirts are totally in :)

    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  14. Man, for a first try I'd say you nailed styling that skirt. A+.

    I'm a bit of a "trash" TV junkie too. Sometimes my brain just needs to turn off. Often the Bachelor is the best way to achieve that!

    viva la trash

    ReplyDelete
  15. For having initial reservations about this skirt you've certainly styled it beautifully. The color is lovely, as well. Nothing beats deep, rich greens like that.

    ReplyDelete