Thursday, February 24, 2011

big bad braid

Photobucket

This outfit was a complete deviation from the plan for today (I'm a rebel). I've been choosing outfits in advance recently because it's nice to grab&go in the morning (showering at night has also helped my morning routine less miserable). However, last night I had a moment of divine inspiration while watching Funny Girl (Netflix Watch Instantly = awesome). Barbra's amazing beehive-and-braid hairdo reminded me a bit of the amazing thick braids at Erin Fetherston for Fall, but my hair isn't long enough (boo) to recreate the look organically:

Photobucket

Ta-da! I decided to braid three of my longest scarves together to (sort of) achieve the desired effect.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(dress: h&m; skirt: goodwill; blouse/belt: bargain boutique; necklace: uo; boots: aldo; scarves: various)

Also, I apologize for my death stare in the majority of these photos--I have a very serious problem with squinting. My eyes are incredibly sensitive to light (I even squint on cloudy days) and today the sun was shining brightly so instead of screwing my face up in all kinds of wacky ways, I just look mean.

So my federal tax return came through yesterday and even though I was supposed to save it all for emergencies, I also happened to find out about Modcloth's Cabin Fever Sale that afternoon. Oh, dear. I went on a bit of a rampage, and although I did eventually narrow my cart down to five (very lovely) little dresses it was still a bit of bad behavior on my part. Especially after the little UO sale shopping spree my state tax return inspired. Anyway, I feel like I deserve a little treat after the stress induced by figuring out how to file the damn things (I swear they try to perplex me with their roundabout phrasing). Soon to be mine:

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. I love it!!!!!!! Such a genius idea; I've always wanted something like that, but I too have much too short hair, I thought for sure yours was long enough to give it a go, but if not then mine certainly won't make it happen. How exactly did you secure it to your head? These types of things always slide right off my baby fine locks-I'm cursed hairwise obviously! But gah! The braided scarves, I swear, really genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am about to head over to that sale so I may be in the same boat as you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creative with the scarves! I buckled a braided belt around my head last summer to achieve the same look, and it worked out pretty well.

    Good for you for splurging. I remember hmming a bit over that fourth dress myself.

    Aand, much as I'd love to pick out outfits the day before, whenever I do that the weather turns out to be completely different from what I thought. Does that happen to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks super cute! good job caitlin- super resourceful. what a great way to incorporate the braids through your scarves. (I think my arms would fall off if I tried that forehead french braid with my actual hair.)I might have to try that myself. it's gonna look so cute in the spring/summer with your hair up too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving the braided headband...such a genius idea...does it stay on? I have such a giant head that I can never buy headbands in shops...to small so I always have to improvise and make my own.... definitely going to give yours a go and superb outfit post xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your scarf braid looks brilliant! Great idea :)

    That dress with the asymetrical collar is my favourite - can't wait to see these on you :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the headband!!! But your hair is long enough to do the look!! I just did it today :) It's a french braid starting behind one ear then you braid under and only take hair from the inside... Does that make sense hahah! Oh and I totally bought a coat from modcloth, it actually is my first modcloth purchase. I'm still too in love with your coat though!

    Lauren
    Sparrow & Urchin

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a smart idea! I have sooo many scarves laying around, I'll have to give it a whirl! I love the combination of stripes and dots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I feel you. I am a severe squinter as well. Though, when taking the photos for my blog I end up looking like a doofus instead of looking mean.

    I was too late to snag the oh-so-amazing Acorn-ucopia dress in Modcloth's massive sale, but I have been thinking about the asymmetrical collared one. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ah curse this 30 by 30 no shopping rule! I am so upset I missed the big sale. :(

    Your scarf idea is so clever though! It would look silly on me, but you really make it work.

    ReplyDelete