Thursday, February 3, 2011

not your mama's llama

Photobucket

I feel like Nanook today. Except if I were an eskimo I would have crafted this sweater out of llama hide (or, more likely, seal... but no thanks). I know that you've seen this sweater recently, and to you I say: so what? It was braying (do llamas bray? What kind of sound do they make? I guess I always just kind of considered them to be like giraffe-donkeys) for attention in the back of my closet, and it was too snowy outside to wear anything pretty. I was originally going to wear some strappy black heels with this outfit, but luckily I changed my mind around because I had to wade through about a foot of snow while scraping ice off my car windows.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(sweater/blouse: bargain boutique; skirt: vintage; tights: goodwill/tjmaxx; shoes: gojane.com)

So earlier this winter I was lamenting the fact that I didn't own any shearling-lined booties and how they looked so cozy, but I never could justify buying a pair because I already had several booties-sans-shearling that looked almost identical to those I was coveting. Instead, I started wearing oversized wool socks and scrunching or folding them to get the same sort of effect. Maybe I should have gone out and bought a few scraps of shearling from the fabric store and created little "sock" tops for my shoes. No matter :) I am satisfied.

In other news, I am seriously in need of a fringe trim (but I'm sooooo lazy), so I'm going to have to get on that this weekend. My bangs are starting to part like JTT circa 1996.

7 comments:

  1. love the winter sweater, adorable!
    Bangs are annoying to keep up with but so cute, defintely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look stylish and cute for the crazy weather, I need lalma cardigan

    ReplyDelete
  3. giraffe donkeys, holy s-word, i'm laughing uncontrollably. thats exactly what they are. you've seen the video of them marching to the tune of the star wars theme, yes?
    i love this sweater on so many levels.
    love them shoes too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the idea of DIY shearling socks! You know I feel that you absolutely ROCK socks and boots this winter, so this is particularly fantastic.

    Also, I've been around a few llamas, and as far as I know they make no sounds at all. I'm sure that's incorrect, but in my mind they're like camels. Mostly spit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those giraffe donkeys on you (I sot of think of them the same way :D)

    I am a sock-boot-tucker as well. At least we can vary our socks, with the real thing (which I was smitten with too) you're stuck with the one tuck.

    Happy narly the weekend! (yeah, I am counting the hours this week)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "My bangs are starting to part like JTT circa 1996." You have no idea how hard I laughed after reading that.

    I've been loving how you fold your socks over your booties. I do the same thing with my winter boots. In fact, I purposely bought unlined Bean boots so I could jam my wooly socks into them and layer, fold, and scrunch as I please.

    Oh, and blog this sweater all you like. It's a beauty and has so much wear-ability.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun winter look! I love the creatures? and dudes? on the sweater! A shearling sock bootie thing would be such a good and cheap DIY!

    ReplyDelete