Monday, February 7, 2011

water for elephants and other stories

Photobucket

It's Monday once again, turn turn turn.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I spent most of my weekend reading Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants, which is one of those bestselling books that I always meant to sit down and read and never did until I received it via the Christmas cookie and book swap from one of my college ladyfriends. There was a time (a couple of years ago) when my interest was first piqued by the history of the circus, especially during Depression-era America, and I even thought: what a fabulous television show that would make! (In case you haven't noticed, I often have ideas for fabulous television shows.) That was until I started digging a little deeper and discovered that it had already been done. I immediately ordered the first disc of Carnivale through Netflix and sat down to watch, but K was so unimpressed he left during the first episode and started cleaning or something and although I hung in a little bit longer I ultimately decided the dark and dreary style just wasn't for me. Still, I was a bit bummed that somebody else had preemptively stolen my idea and turned it into a show I didn't love. As a creative person, this is definitely something that I struggle with--is there such thing as an original idea anymore? It sometimes seems as if anything worth doing has already been done, which is fine if you limit your creative activity to personal, private pursuits but not so fine if you want to, say, make a living. It's sort of like fashion blogging in a way. Sure, sometimes people come up with an interesting original concept, but more often than not we're all doing the same damn thing every day. Fine by me--I just like you guys and want to be a part of this fabulous community--but it's frightening when I'm working on a new project and I feel as if any day some other writer could pull my ideas out from under me.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Water for Elephants and would highly recommend it. I'm also super excited to see the movie, which is scheduled to release in April of this year (although after the royal disappointment that was the blockbuster film adaptation of Eat Pray Love, maybe I should lower my expectations a little bit). PS: Elephants are Awesome.

11 comments:

  1. I read that book in one sitting last year, I LOVED it! I'm nervous about the movie adaptation. I have seen like 4? episodes of Carnivale, but I heard the story was written to end in six seasons but it was canceled after two so a lot of things are left unanswered so I'm hesitant to watch any more, only to be left hanging! I love all the shades of brown and the unexpected yellow tights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet outfit! I love the shade of yellow your tights are, beautiful and fun. Thanks for the book recommendation!

    jewelscapes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't decide if I want to see Water for Elephants once it hits theaters. I enjoyed the book immensely and have been anticipating the film, but after viewing the trailer my excitement has waned. Hmm.

    Stripes and herringbone... I like it! And the yellow tights are a nice touch. That's one color I admire, but have trouble with when it comes to tights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elephants and mustard tights are awesome

    I have to admit I wasn't a fan of the book, it surprisingly didn't sweep me up. However the trailer makes the film look magical. I'll probably see it haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I've never even heard of the book (living under a rock in Mexico, I guess). However, I do identify with the nothing-new-under-the-sun feeling. When I was writing that children's book earlier in the year I had this idea for hybrid animals: part one animal and part another. Then I realized it had already been done in the form of the Vancouver Olympic mascots! Infuriating...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely outfit! I love the gold button detail on your shirt.
    I worry about originality quite often as well. I figure, there have been so many people and ideas in the past, that my basic idea may not be completely original. But I figure, my spin on the idea and my execution of it is what makes it unique. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you should still write down the idea of your show :) It would be cool to see it dealt with from another angle. Carnivale was indeed dark but it also really explored the traveling evangelist side as well as the circus. The problems the all characters had were disturbing and there was rarely a light-hearted moment. It was an interesting story, but the time frame and settings were what drew me in. I would totally be interested in another take on the Carnivale lifestyle during the depression. it's a facinating topic since there is so much mystery surrounding the "we take care of our own" mind set of these circus communities.
    love those mustard colored tights!

    ReplyDelete
  8. well i think outfit is a real winner, love those tights. I bought Water for Elephants for a few months ago when I found it on sale at a local bookstore and have been meaning to read it...i need to get on that

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found your blog via chictopia...its ever so chic, really adore this look and the pop of colour from your tights

    xxx Karin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, thanks for the book reccommendation, can't wait to read it! I adore your tights, I need a mustard yellow pair, they liven things up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. do you want to know how well you sold this book? i just ordered the kindle version for my phone so i can start reading it on the train tomorrow! id been looking for a new book - thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete