Friday, April 29, 2011

in which i wear royal blue

Photobucket

Hello world, new favorite skirt alert! Have I mentioned that I love thrifting? Pretty crazy that my socks (from Urban Outfitters) cost more than my top and skirt combined.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(skirt/shirt: thrifted; socks: uo; shoes: payless; necklace: f21, barette: venetian boutique)

This day is awesome, no joke. The sunny-sun-sun is shining bright, the weekend is right around the corner, I got all my spring cleaning done last night in an organizational fit (dishes done, laundry done, closet rotated to spring/summer--hooray!)... okay, I still have to do things like clean out my car and scrub the tub, but otherwise I'm feeling refreshed and ready for the season!

On a totally unrelated note, I must admit that I actually kind of want to watch the re-broadcast of the Royal Wedding this evening! I'm a little bit shocked by this, mostly because I was getting really annoyed at my fellow Americans for being such cling-ons and acting crazy by camping out to see Kate and William like they were Justin Bieber or something. I am often annoyed by Americans for our obsessiveness with spectacle, and I guess I was particularly irked because this event doesn't even belong to us--we have no connection to these people, really--they are mere celebrities in our eyes. But then I had a niggling curiosity so I turned the TV on this morning and watched Kate arrive at Westminster Abbey, and watched their vows, and watched as he almost couldn't get the ring on her finger... and now I'm a bit charmed and kind of want to see the whole thing. I was telling a friend yesterday that I think our fascination with this wedding (and the royal family in general) is that the whole thing is a remnant of the romantic "Old World" that we've never had in our own country, but that is still a part of our history. While America is struggling with boring things like health care and oil prices and the economy and a divided government, the UK gets to celebrate the really extravagant, fairy-tale wedding of a Prince and a "commoner." I don't know, clearly I've given this way too much thought today.

That's all. Happy Friday, everyone! Enjoy the sunshine (if you have it) and I'll be back on Monday! :)

PS: K, stripes like these! These are the stripes I mean!

18 comments:

  1. Just stopping by to say I love your style, girl! :0 ) You have a tonnn of cute dresses. Jealous!! I must go thrifting more often... I end up buying wayyy too many new clothes.

    Do you take all of your pictures yourself? That's what I do, no hubby to take them for me! Just a question!

    Brenna
    http://bthefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This outfit is beautiful, I love your necklace & skirt. :)

    I have to admit, I watched all of the wedding coverage! I love weddings though. Especially because Kate & William are such sweethearts. :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah, that is one big awesome pocket. Royal blue is such a gorgeous color.

    Speaking of ''royal,'' I only decided yesterday to watch the wedding. I thought it interesting and worthwhile in the historical context, but agree that the American obsession with spectacle and celebrity is absolutely nauseating. Part of me was reluctant to watch because I felt as though it was expected. I'm proud of my British heritage, but it is rather ironic that we're so entranced by the ''Old World'' charm of it all even though we fought two wars to distance ourselves from the monarchy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love that you wear socks with heels, it always looks good! I'm not too sure I can pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, nice finds on the outfit. Crazy that it cost less than your socks - definitely wouldn't have guessed that! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh UO, your prices madden me. Cute outfit, I really like the color of your skirt. In royal news, I too was getting annoyed at the coverage but I guess the little girl in me came out once I saw extravagance of the ceremony and I ended up recording the whole event and watching it this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey girl! beauuutiful nauticalish outfit. and i always LOVE what you do with your hair! so gorgeous. love your comment on my blog, haha i'm glad we share a board game fanatic connection :) it's the best. i can never understand those who aren't up for them :) <3 EverRubyGirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Or, the UK has a royal spectable to distract the real commoners from the fact that the government is systemically dismantling health care, raising fees, and ever-widening the gap between the rich and the poor.

    Having been the grinch, I have to say I've been watching some clips on the guardian website. ; ) I don't agree with the hoopla, but weddings are kind of fun anyway. And at least that dress was way better than Diana's 80s monstrosity. : D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, those socks are just darling! I really love your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This outfit is wonderful, the striped top and blue skirt look so great together. I think it's awesome that they cost less than your socks!! Thrifting is so amazing.
    The only part of the royal wedding I caught was her dress, the only part I was excited to see anyways!
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this out! So bright and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, so cute! That last picture is just beyond adorable. And I love the cute little accessories; the barrette and necklace are both perfect additions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think you have it spot on with why we Americans are so into the Royal Wedding. Yeah, we love a spectacle, but there is something so fascinating about our mother country, and the history and tradition there that we just don't have here. We don't HAVE royal weddings, so really our only chance to enjoy them is to latch onto theirs. Or maybe we're all just Anglophiles at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know where to start! Your hair looks so pretty like that, and I love your whole outfit!! That skirt if so cute, as is your necklace! I have to admit that while I did not get up extra early to watch the Royal Wedding, I did watch the highlights online afterwards and thought it was adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have those socks in gray and black and think they are just the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so, that last picture? adorable. i immediately added it to my tumblr :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The wedding was lovely, Kate looked absolutely stunning, so for that is worth to rewatch the whole thing.

    You look lovely in this look, love the colour combo and the way you combined everything is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete