Thursday, April 28, 2011

in which i am the turbanator

Photobucket

Sometimes when K sees what I am wearing in the morning he just shakes his head and chuckles. This was one of those mornings. I also got a bit of a laugh when I met a co-worker on my way into the office. "Nice hat," she said. Nobody knows that turbans are cool around here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(turban/skirt/shirt/bag: thrifted; cardigan: old navy; glasses: forever 21; necklace: uo; shoes: seychelles)

We're having another dismally dreary day here in Vermont, but April is almost over so I'd better see some pretty incredible May flowers next week. K and I did have our first creemees of the year yesterday evening (it was nearly 80 degrees! Weather is so weird) while strolling through our little town. I wish we were able to stroll further but we have a very small stretch of sidewalk before hitting a pretty major thoroughfare (even if it is just a small route with pitted pavement). Boo. I'm hoping that it will clear up enough for me to enjoy some sunshine over the weekend, but I suppose rain is more conducive to productivity anyway. I'm also seriously itching to go thrifting, so a trip to Goodwill is probably in order.

In other news, I watched HOWL last night (based on the poem by Allen Ginsberg and his life) and was rather disappointed. I don't know what I was expecting, exactly, but this was not it. I think it was the animation that really threw me off, but I think I expected more of a biopic. Anyway, I didn't love it. I am still seriously looking forward to the film interpretation of On the Road that will be coming out this year, but maybe my romantic fascination with the Beat Generation is on the wane?

14 comments:

  1. I've heard mixed things about Howl as well, but I'm pretty interested in the On the Road adaptation. No clue how it will work out in the end, but I think it's great they're trying at least. And the casting is definitely intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, you would have gotten a chuckle from me for the glasses! I love turban scarves though, I've been wearing them quite a bit lately. I do get funny looks, but not nearly as many as on my socks and sandals outing the other day. The old Catalans were all scandalized! It's our job to educate these people... : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Nobody knows that turbans are cool around here."


    Hahahaha, I feel like this every day. People give me THE strangest looks when I wear certain things to work and I just want to be like "Why don't you know that outfit is awesome??!?"

    Love turbans.

    -Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. no one knows what is cool here either. i wore socks and sandals the other day and everyone was like "um, shelby...you can't do that" and i was all "pff, check out the blogosphere bro!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boyfriend doesn't just shake his head and chuckle, he makes "funny" little comments such as "when did you become a middle aged school teacher", they think they're sooo funny.
    BUT, I love and get your turban, it's lovely. This blouse is really quite stunning, and it's awesome with that skirt
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the turban! I know what you mean about the chuckles, I get them when I wear what people around here like to call "grandma" pants. Who'll be laughing when everyone is wearing turbans and high-waisted pants next season? ;)
    M xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Turban! I love it! Especially with the glasses, it's like geek meets gypsy. Yay! Also those boots... <3 I need to go thrifting soon as well, there are so many possibilities in Portland but I never take advantage of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just about everything i wear gets weird looks and laughs because literally NO ONE ELSE in Northern Idaho knows how to dress like an individual! Well, maybe a couple, but the vast majority is still on Hollister shirts and skinny jeans. No creativity. So, thank the blogosphere for you! with your turbans and glasses and "theme outfits"! So cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love turbans. could never pull it off. you do it nicely! :)

    http://hammocksandtrampolines.blogspot.com
    http://etsy.com/shop/puddinp0p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great outfit! The colours are gorgeous and that turban is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I lost some of my fascination with the Beaties when I was about 23. Though I'll be anxiously awaiting On the Road, so who knows...

    Also, I love this outfit. Such lovely colors.

    ...and finally, what's a "creemee"??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a pretty skirt <3 and lovely print on your turban too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this outfit, it's just too adorable! Your boots are my favourite.

    x x Michelle
    http://www.thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete