Tuesday, January 4, 2011

i am matryoshka

For Christmas, I got K a book called Travels in Siberia by Ian Frazier. I am a big fan of giving--and receiving--books as gifts--and because I am a voracious reader but I never know what I will be in the mood for when I finish one book and visit my bookshelf to select the next one, I like to have multiple unread options to choose from. Anyway, I got him the book and I feel like I've been channeling Siberian style lately--probably due to the vast wasteland of a landscape that is Vermont in the wintertime.

(dress/necklace: forever 21; hat: h&m; tights: kohls; shoes: payless)

I've always loved the idea and artistry of Matryoshka dolls (see the original set above), so I am delighted that they have passed into the realm of the trendy (as so many other forms of folk art before them). I found this necklace for some ridiculously insignificant amount at Forever 21 this weekend and had to have it. I also purchased a black faux-fur hat much like this one, but when I found the grey version at H&M I returned the black right away (especially since this one fits my large head much more comfortably). I think I look a bit like a nesting doll in this getup, and it is as if the miniature Matryoshka around my neck is the nugget inside my outer layers.

12 comments:

  1. oo I love the necklace. This whole outfit is fantastic, fun for the winter time especially with that fur hat

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hat is the most sensational thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This outfit, head to toe, is great. Definitely seeing your Siberia vibe and that necklace is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love love love it!!!! espesh the hat. i wish i was a hat person, but every one i put on looks horrible on me. maybe i haven't found the right one. anyways, i also love that you are wearing a little floral dress with the fur hat in the snow. super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice outfit! And the necklace is great.


    StylePicks
    http://stylepicks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That hat is so quirky and amazingly cool. I'm a huge fan of matryoshka dolls and have been since I was a wee little one. So this outfit sets off my nostalgic meter.
    You look great!

    Leaving the House in THIS?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look perfectly matroyshka! I had a set when I was a kid, and I'm a big fan of the themed jewellery now... might have to go back and buy that ring I saw recently...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great necklace! I just got a skirt from Urban Outfitters with those dolls on it too (http://dailydoseofdana.tumblr.com/post/2590616788). They must be in style ;)
    ~Dana

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool look! The hat really sets off the the outfit and I love those nesting dolls! I have two big sets my aunt got me in Russia when I was little - I should have grabbed them from my old room at my parent's house when I was home for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love everything about this outfit, the necklace is adorable and i wish i could pull off a hat like this! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. that dress is perfect for you! the sleeves are fabulous. great F21 find.

    ReplyDelete