Friday, January 7, 2011

the day of the ball

I'm like a confused chameleon--I was wearing my big white furry hat when the snow had melted and the the landscape was Brown Town, and now I've got my brown furry hat on in the snow. Oh well, I've got nothing to hide :) I discovered this darling dress on our frenzied Braintree shopping trip last weekend, and I bought it even though I could not zip it up for the life of me (not because it didn't fit but because the zipper was being a stubborn little brat). Since I've started thrifting so much I have very little patience for trying clothes on and I just gave up, but I loved it too much to let it slip away--the fabric is heavy grey tweed and it has a vintage cut that is infinitely flattering.

(hat: vintage; dress: forever 21; tights: goodwill; shoes: seychelles; belt: bargain boutiquenecklace: gift/diy)

The big news is that tonight I will be attending a BALL. Yes, you read right--a BALL. The Governor's Inaugural, to be exact. Mom&Dad got tickets for me&K and we're all going to get dressed up and dance the night away! I had this loony toon idea to sew a strip of feathers as a back seam on a pair of tights, and it was quite a project but I finally finished late last night and will hopefully be debuting the tights at the ball tonight (if all goes according to plan and I don't immediately start moulting).

14 comments:

  1. oh my gosh - a real, true BALL?!?!? i cannot WAIT to see what you wear!!!! feathered tights! gosh...please, please take lots of pics!!! and have lots of champagne and fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just chanced across your blog, and it is lovely! i'm really liking those maroon tights and that adorable new hat! though you look pretty cold out there in the snow... ;)

    i've actually heard of this ball. i was in burlington over new years and skiied sugarbush! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a balllllll???????!!!!!!! awesome! that sounds super amazing. hope you have the best time :)
    and i love that dress! i thought it was vintage at first!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that dress, it fits so well and is an intriguing take on herringbone

    ooo feathered tights!? Someone has been watching Black Swan ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I love balls (and no, I'm not super spoiled, I just did Scottish Country Dancing for years, which involved its fair share of balls). Looking forward to seeing you in your finery!

    That dress is a great find; I'm really quite jealous. And also of the fact that your hair still looks good while being snowed upon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such great style. These photos are beautiful and the outfit with the snow, I LOVE IT.
    Have fun at the ball! Sounds like a pretty rare opportunity and fun at that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress is so cute! You look great from head to toe! Kudos for going out while it was snowing! The photos are great!

    <3 Ashley

    AcuteObsession.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so beautifully old fashioned with your lovely fur hat, cute shoes and dark pink tights. I adore the snow in these shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That dress is LOVELY! Such a great fabric, and I love the gray paired with the colored tights! So pretty. And wowza, a ball! Have fun! Cannot wait to see your DIY tights!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The last time I was in the F21 in Braintree I was completely overwhelmed. Then they moved the small one here into an old sporting goods store making it an anxiety attack waiting to happen. I might have to brace myself and pop in there for this dress, though.

    The Governor's Ball and feathered tights? Can't wait for a recap on both! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that dress so much! The texture is amazing! And I love the color of those tights!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like the dress, a very good shape as you said. That's so exciting you're going to a ball! Looking forward to seeing the pics (and the tights)

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! It doesn't get much more fairy tale dream than attending a ball with your true love wearing an ensemble YOU created!!!
    I hope the evening was dreamy and amazing.

    Pleeeeeeeeeease, tell me there are pictures!
    Leaving the House in THIS?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that dress combined with the burgundy tights! Lovely look.

    ReplyDelete