Wednesday, January 12, 2011

accessorize your life

One of the women I work with went to Cambodia over the holidays (her son was getting married there) and brought this beautiful silky scarf back for me. I love when I can build an entire outfit based on a single accessory (did anyone else watch The Fashion Show: Ultimate Collection last night? If so, OMG I want those carousel earrings that Jeffrey used in his winning look), and that's what I did here.

(dress/tights/socks: tjmaxx; scarf: gift; earrings: f21, gift; belt: thrifted; shoes: payless; ring: antique)

I used the all-black palette of the dress as a backdrop for some of my lesser-worn accessories. I hardly ever wear earrings because my lobes are so sensitive I usually have to take them out after a couple of hours, but I received this pretty peacock pair as a Christmas gift so I thought I'd give them a shot :) I bought the ring at an antique jewelry shop on an impromptu trip to Troy, NY last year, and the lavendar tights don't get enough wear because they are a little wackadaisical and fall outside my usual color scheme. All-in-all, I think the whole get-up came together rather well, and the purple really pops against the snow!


As for using a single accessory to inspire an entire outfit, I am definitely a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants sort of girl when it comes to dressing and designing (oh, and life...). A couple of weekends ago I spent several hours browsing Jo-Ann Fabrics for the perfect fabric (in the discount section, of course), and ultimately ended up designing a dress in my head based entirely around an interesting strip of ribbon. Hopefully I'll have some time to devote to my latest sewing project in the next couple of weeks...

17 comments:

  1. What a pretty scarf, and ooooh, I'm obsessed with those earrings! And I love what you've done with the tights and socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My jaw dropped when I saw this post! Love the hint of the "wackadaisical" tights below the socks. Love the soft colors of the accessories against the black dress. And the snow in the pictures is really gorgeous.

    This is further proof why you are undoubtedly "Muse" worthy!!!!

    Leaving the House in THIS?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the stockings over the patterned tights. It almost makes a "pin-up girl silk stocking" look. Gosh I can't wait to fit into normal clothes again. :) Thanks for getting me excited for things to wear after this baby is born!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the shape of that dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very beautiful! I love your accessorizing!!!
    jewelscapes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That scarf is really pretty, and great for getting out some of your pastel things. Super pretty all in all. Looks like you guys are getting insane snow though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutely gorgeous, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those tights are really pretty. I like them paired with the tall socks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful scarf and oh my - those tights are to die for! Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog through LTHIT! LOVE IT! My husband always wants me in short skirts, but I just feel too Bebe skankish in them. But now I see you styling short skirts in a way that I can emulate - vintage, classy, hipster, awesome! Coincidentally, I just put a bunch of sewing alteration books on hold at the library...any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the otk socks layered over the patterned tights! a must-do in the snow/cold!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I adore all of the little details in this outfit - the earrings, the scarf, the ring, the tights...all so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the scarf is so pretty and definitely takes center stage!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That scarf is so pretty, and those tights are such a cool pattern! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How nice she brought you a scarf! I love accessories from foreign lands. I love the way you built this outfit. Those tights are awesome and "wackadaisical" that is a great word!
    From one of the comments: "Bebe skankish" - ouch! I never knew Bebe was considered "skank" Maybe it depends on how you wear it.
    www.fashnlvr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yvonne - poor choice of words maybe, sorry! I guess I'm mostly refering to the catalogs I've gotten from them. Maybe its because the models are over 6', but the skirts always seem about half and inch away from private parts! I like Bebe, and have some of their stuff. Just wasn't sure how to wear really shorts skirts without feeling too attention-getting. But now I have tons of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete