Tuesday, February 14, 2012

in which i honor st. valentine

Photobucket

It's that time of year again! Love is in the air :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


(blouse/skirt/belt: thrifted; socks: uo; necklace: jewelmint; shoes: seychelles)

I won't lie, I enjoy Valentine's Day, and it's not just because I have a crazy sweet tooth, or because I love tradition, but because I think it's really important to have a day to celebrate love! Anniversaries are good too, but I don't even know when mine is. Some people get all in a twist about Valentine's Day being invented by Hallmark and how commercial it all is, but honestly? So what? First of all, they're wrong. Valentine's Day has been around since the 14th century, when courtship was serious business. And maybe it has been a bit commercialized over the years (if Hallmark capitalized on American consumerism, that's just good business), but so has Christmas and St. Patrick's Day and every other holiday known to man (I saw Easter candy on the other end of the Valentine's candy aisle, already...). That doesn't have to be what it's about for me or you. We can choose to celebrate any way we see fit, with homemade cards and gifts, or just a nice dinner out (or in for that matter!). People act like they're being forced to participate in the Hallmark-variety holiday--but that's just nonsense. I still think there can't be anything wrong with having a day designated to love in its various forms. When I was in college, I threw a Valentine's Day Frolic for all of my single friends and we just had a dance party with pink jello shots and that was great fun. I don't know... maybe I'm just tired of all the Debbie Downer "why does the world make me suffer so?" attitudes out there. There are enough serious issues to be upset about--Valentine's Day is absolutely not one of them. We should try to make the best of things... every day should be a celebration!

We all love somebody--whether it's our parents, or our boyfriend, or our best friend. Tell someone you love them today!

As for my Valentine... you know who you are ;)

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Peach and red are the most beautiful colour combination!! This skirt is such a great piece, and I'm a huge fan of this necklace. I'm not the biggest fan of valentines day, but it is a nice excuse to eat a fancy meal with my family or love and buy heart shaped things! I love me some heart shaped everything!
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your outfit is so lovely... the color combination is just great!

    I too agree with your view on Valentine's Day. Yeah, some people perceive it as a strictly hallmark holiday, but it goes beyond that, and there really is nothing to hate about it. So what if you don't have a significant other, there are plenty of other things to cherish on such a day.

    Anyway, hope you enjoy your Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you look so cute in these colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to everything you said! I basically said the same thing on my Valentine post haha. What can be bad about a day about love?
    Also, I love your pink and red outfit. I would have worn a pink blouse with my red skirt had I had a pretty one like you have. I love the adorable socks and oxfords you paired with this too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hattitude Artistic Style Blog

    i JUST saw midnight in paris! the clothes in that era! looove it. it's up for an oscar!
    I'll have to read that other book you were mentioned.
    we should start a fashionista bloggers book club online! haha

    talk soon wild child
    -Hattie
    Hattitude Artistic Style Blog

    ReplyDelete