Wednesday, March 2, 2011

a map of the world

Photobucket

From sleet to sun in a single day! Don't you just love winter weather? This is what I love: pattern-mixing. I absolutely adore the combination of burgundy and polka dots with muted and ruffled florals here--none of the colors or patterns "go together" by any stretch of the imagination, but that's why they work so well!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

(blouse: plato's closet; cardigan: ruche; skirt: vintage; belt: bargain boutique; tights: hue; shoes: seychelles)

I am in dire need of some new belts. I lost my dark braided one (sad face) and yesterday this one ripped between the two most-used holes. I can't complain too much because both belts cost me a grand total of $3, but I depend on them so much and I don't know what I'll do without them! It does not escape me that I wear this combination of belt and oxfords at least 4/7 days/week. Talk about getting your money's worth! It's been about a month since I stopped in at Bargain Boutique--I think it might be time for another visit!

My week has been rather wacky but pretty productive! I have managed to get some writing in, mostly because K has been studying hard for midterms for what seems like forever, and I've been reading at night instead of watching television (with the exception of The Bachelor, of course). I watch TV at the gym (each treadmill has it's own television--how 21st century!), usually while simultaneously flipping through trashy tabloid magazines (if someone isn't hoarding all of them), which satisfies my craving for pop culture so that I can focus on bigger and better things when I get home. For the past couple of days I've been reading A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton, which I was reluctant to read because a stranger recommended it to me (and I have very little faith in the ability of strangers to understand my rather unusual literary tastes) and because it was selected for Oprah's book club (and I'm way too much of a pretentious snob to read what everyone else is reading). There, I said it. How's that for the truth? Anyway, I haven't been enjoying it very much, even though I can recognize that Hamilton does have some fairly poetic insights into the human condition, I suppose because I'm not in the right state of mind to read about somebody else's suffering. It's all just so depressing and tragic and there seems to be no end in sight for the poor, miserable characters--only resignation and somber acceptance. It just makes me wonder: Why is this book a bestseller? Why do so many people want to read such depressing drudgery? Why do we subject ourselves to immersion in this sort of unspeakable tragedy? And why does Oprah recommend that we do so? When I was trying to think of the last book I read that was similar in subject and tone, I immediately thought of Midwives, by Chris Bohjalian (also, as it turns out, Oprah's book club). I enjoyed Midwives when I read it, but I was also reading it on my lunch break in the summer sunshine and nobody can feel truly melancholy while awash in all that Vitamin D. I'll definitely finish the book, but it sure has made me think about what we consider entertainment in this country.

10 comments:

  1. RANDOM TRUE STORY: When I read Midwives, I pictured Sibyl as your mom. No idea why. Probably because I don't know too many Vermont women and you're too young. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the layering here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it almost looks warm there!!! i love all your pattern mixing and layering. you are so good at it! and i love that you said you are way too pretentious to read what everyone else is reading. i haven't read the twilight series for that exact reason! have you read it? actually i need a new book to read, i finished mine over my trip to tahoe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always a major pain when belts break, because it's so hard to find a good quality one that fits you, cheaply!

    I will read what other people are reading, but generally not in public. ; ) And I tend to steer widely clear of Oprah, and of anything that sounds too tragic or is about "three generations of strong-willed women in [rural Ireland/war-torn Europe/the harsh Canadian landscape], or anything that has a blurb containing the words "moving" and "poetic." And almost anything written in the present tense (pet peeve). And you thought you had specific literature taste?

    My dad refers to these super-depressing books as the "kitchen sink genre." I think spoiled, over-privileged people like to read them to feel dramatic. I think life's sad enough half the time to want to wallow in it the rest of the time.

    Rant over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous all the way! Love it ♥

    I am very slowly reading Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk right now. Slowly because it makes my belly ache it is so graphic. I love books with flawed, alienated heroes and messy endings or those that end and just feel unfinished, like the author left you hanging in mid air. That 's what I go for personally.

    I must admit I am a bit of a snob when it comes to book recommendations too. What others find heart warming I find depressing and what excites me leaves others cold. I am not that plugged in with the bookish hive mind either I guess. My last adventure into book club territory was The Five People you meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom and what a waste of time that was IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fellow VA/D.C. Blogger here.

    I adore this outfit, I love the mix of the cardi with the blouse, so fabulous.

    I just started following!
    www.indcfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Infinte jest still looms on my bookshelf with all it 's infinte width ;) but I totally agree DFW's characters bear some resemeblence to Chuck's creations as well as Bret Easton Ellis'. I guess the old "god doesn't like us" theme in Fight Club is similar to Douglas Coupland's stuff - I enjoyed most I read of his although sometimes I find him a bit same old same old. Definitely looking into Tom Robbins - hadn't come across him at all :)

    I can't believe you suffered through the five as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. In fact, just to jump in uninvited here, I once saw Chuck Palaniuk and Douglas Coupland give a talk together in Vancouver. They were definitely crafted in the same mould. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this outfit! The colors, the textures, the layering! I'm a total snob about Oprah's book club too. The book club I'm in picked The Corrections and I was all "ew. I've heard it's good but OPRAH picked it." But then I remembered how the author snubbed her and refused to be on the show and I felt a bit better about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That cardigan is just wonderful, and I love the way you layered the pieces of this outfit. It's definitely one of my favorite outfits of yours yet. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete