Tuesday, September 13, 2011

in which the sea foam embraces me

Photobucket

One thing I love about my newfound thrifting fever is the excitement I feel when I uncover something that other people might overlook due to dowdiness and the way I can just visualize how amazing it really is. I found this sweaterdress at Goodwill on Sunday, and even though it was gigantic I knew it had to be mine. I was immediately drawn to the color, of course, this marvelous minty green, but the loose knit pattern and soft scalloped edges were what ultimately sold me. I feel very bohemian in my loose-fitting garments lately...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

(sweaterdress: goodwill; ring: vintage; earrings: gift; boots: seychelles)

I wasn't sure how to accessorize the dress, because I didn't want to overwhelm it, but this very art deco earrings and ring combination seemed to suit. Since the dress is completely see-through, I threw on a slip, and I quite like the way the white lace peeks out when I lift my arms, like the white foam of a crashing wave in a sea of green :)

Speaking of the sea, last night K and I watched The Beach, a 2000 movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio, which I think I avoided watching until now because I wrongly assumed it was a horror/thriller film. It definitely has a darkness to it, but it is that thought-provoking kind that I always enjoy. Basically the premise is that a young traveler goes to Thailand in search of a new kind of adventure (rather than the usual tourist fare) and winds up with a map to some secret Utopian island society. He invites a young Parisian couple on his quest to find this paradise (because he covets the lovely Fran├žoise), and they set off, traveling by any and all means necessary, and finally swimming the last stretch to their destination. They do stumble upon a group of free-spirited folk living in an idyllic lagoon, and happily settle into commune life. Of course, they soon realize that perfection is an impossible pursuit--we are all too human, no matter where we are, and distrust, danger, and death are inescapable, even in Utopia. The question is: how far will we go to protect our private paradise from unworthy invaders? Anyway, I thought it was well done, and definitely worth a watch.

Here's a fun exercise for a Tuesday--I'm curious: What would your Utopia look like?

7 comments:

  1. I think the best sweater dresses are just sweaters that are long enough to be dresses. Love this color! Your hair also looks pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great look! I love this sweater dress!

    xoxo Denise
    http://allthingsnew-denise.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sweater dress! And I love your ring - XOXO, www.NatalyasCloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. MINT GREEN, yesss this sweater dress is amazing. I love the scalloped edge and of course the colour. Beauty!
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a rad dress! I love that you styled it so simply. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just watched that movie recently too. I also thought it was a horror movie and was pleasantly surprised. That dress looks so cozy, i love the hem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sweater dress was a great find. I really like the color of it. I think it'd look nice belted too!

    ReplyDelete