Monday, October 10, 2011

over the weekend: apple picking!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had a great weekend. Ever since K and I moved (back) to Vermont in 2008, we have been vigilant about sticking to a few fall traditions: apple picking and pumpkin carving. There is just something about autumn that begs us to take advantage--maybe it's because autumn is the last hurrah before we hibernate all winter, maybe it's some biological need to celebrate the harvest season, maybe it's because I was born in October and apple cider just runs in my blood ;) Whatever the reason, it's great fun (here we are in 2009 and 2010). After a scrumptious brunch at Libby's Diner in Colchester (yummmmmmm vegetarian benedict), we headed over to Shelburne Orchards, where we picked a bushel (40 lbs!) of McIntosh apples in under an hour (there were so many!). It was a gloriously sunny 75 degrees, and we had a wonderful time wandering through the rows, comparing best picks, and marveling at the beautiful scenery. We wrapped up the afternoon with hot cider on the hillside, and brought our apples home for lunches and pies and the like :)

That night I headed over to my parents' house, where they were having a big going-away gala for a neighborhood friend. It was a wild night, complete with a bonfire, mad dancing, fabulous people and lots and lots of wine. (Woodbury is where it's at.) No photographic evidence, but it's probably better that way. The next morning I got up feeling a little bit worse for wear, played a round of Bananagrams with my mom to give my muddled brain a bit of a workout, and went for a leisurely stroll in the forest before driving home on the back roads with the windows down and Charles Bradley and the Menahan Street Band playing bluesy music into the open air.

Good times :)

6 comments:

  1. Yay for apple-picking! SO fun, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jealous! Apple cider runs in my blog too, along with all forms of alcohol apparently. Your little 60s-esque number is perfect for apple picking and I love that picture of you holding the apple towards the camera. Plus, I now want eggs benedict at a time when I should be having my night-time cuppa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, crazy because I have the same camera I guess I need to explore the options a bit. Love harvest season. It is one of my favorites as well. Vermont looks amazing, Where did you move from? I love your photographs they are so charming. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your weekend sounds perfect! I want a cup of hot apple cider right this instant. I wish there were orchards close by so I could visit one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures! Your weekend sounds like a perfect one! :)

    ReplyDelete