Monday, November 30, 2009

caboose on the style train

Over the past couple of months I have been seeing this look all over the fashion blogging community, and with good reason (see above: Julie of Orchid Grey, Kyla of Blue Collar Catwalk, Indiana of Adored Austin, Amy of The Bargain Hunter Extraordinaire). Adding a belted scarf is a super-easy way to spiff up any so-so outfit. I especially like it because it is remniscent of a vest, but instantly more flattering (thanks to the belt).

(tunic: probably TJMaxx or Marshall's but I can't remember; scarf: thrifted; belt: thrifted; tights: GAP; boots: ALDO; peacock necklace: UO; bracelet: F21; ring: mom)

I scored big in many ways over Thanksgiving (in pumpkin & apple pie if not in Trivial Pursuit pie), not the least of which was my mother's decision to give me this beautiful tiger-eye ring. She got it from her grandfather years and years ago, but she has a much more precious stone on her finger now and I've never seen her wear any other rings... oh well, more for me!

I'm becoming ring-obsessed!

I've been wanting to wear this tunic as a dress for a long time but it's kind of inappropriately short. I did end up throwing some jeans on underneath for my trip to the office, but my vision for the outfit did not include denim, so it was not photographed. It's the vision that counts, right?

This weekend was pretty lovely. K took me to the Nutcracker Ballet on Saturday night and it was everything I dreamed it would be (although it seemed incredibly short... we still haven't determined if it was a condensed version).

We were kind of rushed before the show because we spent the day antiquing (I got some exciting goodies!) and couldn't decide on a restaurant to go to beforehand (did I mention I seem to have lost my appetite?) so we had to speed-eat our way through dinner and it didn't end up being all that enjoyable. But! I did enjoy the ballet, and I got to wear my mink coat, and it was nice to be out on a real date where K got dressed up and looked very dashing, and all-in-all it was a great start to the Christmas season.
Get out your advent calendars! I can't believe November is already over...

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caitlin! Totally adore your style pix on your blog. Was surprised to see that you are from Vermont, so am I (Swanton orginally and then Burlington). I recently launched my own style sharing website called TweetMyStyle.com that I thought you'd totally love. It partners with Twitter and Facebook so you can share your fashion pix with your friends and followers from one-easy-to-use place. Thanks for the great blog and hope to see more of your styles on Tweet My Style. Cheers, Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, thank you for the mini shout out! I adore how you you belted your scarf and I love the color combo you have going on. You look absolutely adorable!!

    Hugs,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete