Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I like my new shoes.

Today I opted for super-casual because it's Tuesday (and honestly, I think Tuesday is even harder than Monday...) and because I bought so many many great BASICS this weekend (and in the past I have been severely basics-impaired).

Since the beginning of time (it seems), I have been on the hunt for 1) a nice heather gray vneeck tee shirt that isn't too a) clingy, b) transparent, c) large and 2) the perfect pair of skinny jeans. The primary reason that I wanted skinny jeans was for boot-tucking, but I couldn't resist trying out my new Minnetonka moccasins (even if I did have to change into snow boots for the commute to work--it's blizzarding here!)
Maybe the skinny jeans aren't perfect, but I've looked high and low and I'm not sure if it's possible for them to fit me exactly right. I'm pretty short and I have skinny legs so they always bunch at the ankles&knees (and I don't necessarily want them to look like leggings). I got this particular pair (and the same in gray because it was buy-one-get-one-free!) at PacSun, which I have been hesitant to go in to, if not downright intimidated, because the kids working there look like they should be playing bass for obnoxiously emo teen skater-punk bands (or whatever it is the kids are calling it these days).
To top it off, the perfectly-plaid scarf that I found stuffed in my stocking :) I've been wearing it constantly since it appeared on Christmas morning.
Speaking of shoes (sort of), I would most definitely classify myself as a "shoe person" (also, a "dog person" and a "wine person"). While some girls will go out and buy gaggles of bags, I will a) steal bags, or b) receive bags as gifts. The only bag I have ever bought myself is my awesome straw purse, which hardly counts--it's not big enough to hold much of anything. I literally can not hold on to clutches (I put them down, they disappear... usually with valuables inside), so I don't buy them. My mother gave me a red leather bag a few years ago, and although it makes a great, classy carry-on, it's not terribly practical for daily use because it doesn't have any pockets.

For the purpose of practicality, I was ultimately forced to resort to theft (from my mother). Behold my beautifully-battered boho bag:

Don't get me wrong, I love my saggy bag (stains and all), but it isn't appropriate when I want to look... well, nice. And although I know I should invest in something basic and prac*YAWN*tical (and probably black)...

...I keep getting sidetracked by bags that are so much more interesting. Bags that have so much more character:


And then I moan and groan for so long that they sell out... and then I'm a little bit sad and I maybe curse myself just once or twice. There may be a "fun" in "functional" but I don't see it. Basics, Caitlin, basics...

But ooh, I kind of like this one:

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with you, Tuesdays are so much harder than Mondays. Personally, I would take Mondays over Tuesdays any day. I am always so tired and grouchy on Tuesdays for some reason and have ZERO outfit motivation. Ugh! However, you look adorable in your casual outfit and I LOVE your new shoes.

    xoxo
    Amy

    P.S. I have the same problem with bags too! That is why you never seen any in my outfit posts. hehe Ooh, but I do love the last one... you should get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I can never bring myself to buy a "practical" bag either. I know I NEED one. But fun bags are SO much better.

    ps. I like the skinny jeans on you. They look good bunched up. Also, now I have to buy moccasins. I have to. Your shoes are making me. And I LOVE the scarf.

    ReplyDelete