Thursday, November 18, 2010

in pursuit of passion

Feeling rather anxious lately for many reasons. I just want to go go go all the time but I can't prioritize and end up wallowing in sloth. Still pretty enthused about the upcoming long weekend...

(blouse: Plato's Closet; slipdress: UO; skirt: vintage; shoes: Seychelles; glasses: F21; necklace: DIY)

I feel like my post-graduate generation has been completely crippled by an excess of opportunity. We're all too well-rounded, too ambitious, too accustomed to having everything our little hearts desire. We're never satisfied with what we're doing because there are so many other things we want to be doing at the same time, and so many different lives that we know we could lead if we were passionate enough, but because we're jack-and-jane's-of-all-trades our passion is spread too thin and we can't point ourselves in any one direction. We want to live everywhere, be everyone, do everything... and then we end up doing nothing at all. Most of us find that our entire collegiate experience was effectually "wasted" (I don't believe in waste), and that we're thousands of dollars in debt, maybe a little wiser, and a whole lot more cynical. I wouldn't count myself among the cynical. I'm still way too much of an optimist (key words: too much). I've spent my life opening myself up to everything the world has to offer, and now I need to narrow my vision slightly. I don't want to close anything out, I just need to focus.

FOCUS.

FOCUS.

FOCUS.

4 comments:

  1. Tell me about it. Focus should be tattooed on my forehead to remind me when I wake up in the morning. Except I don't feel like there is so much opportunity out there. Maybe that's just a dark thought based on living in this cuts-threatened country that is in for a long hard time. But otherwise, this post could have been written by me.

    Lucky you with Thanksgiving! I missed mine and was very sad about it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm hi, excuse me :

    http://www.eyeweekly.com/article/55882

    This really helped me out when I was having a lot of the same feelings as you. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, I was just thinking about this. I'm hoping to not fall into the whole wanting to do everything then doing nothing trap, but I kind of already kind of feel like I'm in it, and that freaks me out a little.
    Anyway, you look lovely. Your tights and top are really cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've kind of lived my life out of focus... I'm not sure I'd like to narrow in on just one passion. But that's ME. Perhaps, I'd feel less scattered if I did just focus. hmmmmmmmmm

    By the way, I love your glasses, shoes and pigtails. These are some great shots.
    Leaving the House in THIS?!?!

    ReplyDelete