Thursday, January 10, 2013

in which i make january resolutions

Photobucket

Coat #3!  This basic pea coat is a blast from the past, that's for sure.  I rarely wear it because it's not very warm and doesn't fit all that well, but it's still in my closet!  I think I got this one back in college (yelp, maybe before) so it's been at least six years...

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Picture003two-1 Photobucket Photobucket
(coat: mudd; shorts/scarf: thrifted; shoes: lulu*s; bag/earmuffs: urban outfitters; ring: etsy)

I'm still not totally caught up on all of the stuff I need to get done before I can finally feel relaxed again, but last night I finally got the sink empty, went to the gym, and read several chapters of Middlemarch, so I'm working my way through the week :)  Tonight is the first Art Club meeting in a while, and this weekend K and I are going to take down the tree and bring it to the drop-off in town.

I don't really do "resolutions" at this time of year, mostly because I make a sort of "bucket list" on my birthday every year so making resolutions just seems redundant. That said, I would like to make a few smaller, easily-attainable goals for the month ahead (and onward through 2013).  It can be overwhelming to try to follow the exact same resolutions for a full year (and let's be honest, nobody does it), especially since things happen, people change, priorities change (yes, even over the course of a year), and I think it makes some sense to set out to accomplish just a few small things each month.  So:

Get a Haircut
I haven't had my hair cut in over two years.  Whoops!  It is beyond time to hack off some of these split ends.

Exercise 3x/Week
Now that I have a workout video at my disposal, it can't be THAT hard to get some sort of exercise during the week.  I want to work out at least three times each week, either at the gym or in my living room.  I am so out of shape and my clothes are a bit snug after the holidays, so something needs to happen, fast!

Buy No Coffee Beverages or Clothes, and No Alcohol During the Week
I want to say I'll buy no alcohol at all, but I know that I would be setting myself up to fail.  I have had no desire to drink after all the imbibery of Christmas and New Years, so going without shouldn't be too hard.  I'm on a pretty strict savings plan from here on out, and I need to find serious ways to cut back!

Take Down Christmas Tree and Catch Up on Cleaning
Our house is sort of a wreck lately.  I can't even empty the sink of dishes before it fills up again, and our tree is dying and dropping needles everywhere.  It will be nice to take the tree down and put everything back in its rightful place.

Make Ravioli
I want to make more ravioli!  I still don't have a pasta maker, but it can be relaxing to spend an evening cooking and rolling dough, and the results have (so far) been delicious. I'd really like to become a more self-sufficient eater in the New Year.

The biggest one for me is the commitment not to buy coffee (except at the grocery store), alcohol (except maybe on the weekends, but not if I can help it), or new clothes.  I really need to save some money (especially since taxes went up, and on my small paycheck that is painful) if I want to make this my best year yet!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh not buying coffee would be hard, I am such an addict. But these are good resolutions and sometimes it's nice to set goals for ourself, even if we don't fulfill them completely it's good to have something to work towards
    I love the textured tights with shorts, I definitely want to try that more soon.
    xJennaD

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, I'm obsessed with shorts and tights...I love the way you put this outfit together!

    I totally understand the whoe workout routine! Holiday punds must disappear hahaha. I always fail at home workouts, I surely hope that you are more successful than I!

    You could also try groupon as a source. They often have discounted gym memberships, or 10 or 20 classes at gyms in local areas. They come in handy!

    Love your blog!

    Tiff Ima from http://stylehonestly.com

    ReplyDelete